The same-sex partner visa permits you to enter or stay in the UK if you are a same-sex partner of a British citizen or settled person and have either cohabited for two years or are married.

You must be married or in a civil partnership with a British citizen, or a person with Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR), pre-settled status, settled status, or refugee status.

 If you meet the requirements of the immigration rules, you will be granted an initial leave to enter the UK for a period not exceeding 33 months.

If you need immigration advice or legal assistance with your UK same-sex partner visa application, call our family visa lawyer in London at 0203 417 3700.

What is a same-sex partnership in the UK?

In the United Kingdom, a same-sex partnership typically refers to a legal relationship between two individuals of the same sex. This legal recognition is known as a "civil partnership". Civil partnerships in the UK provide same-sex couples with legal rights and responsibilities similar to those of marriage.

What are the requirements for a same-sex partner visa?

The main requirements for a UK same-sex partner visa application under 5-year route are as follows: 

  • You and your partner must be at least 18 years old.
  • The applicant must be the same-sex partner (must have lived together for at least 2 years) of a person who is either a British citizen or settled in the UK, which means they have indefinite leave to remain or settled status.
  • You need to prove that your relationship is genuine and that you intend to live together permanently in the UK.
  • You must meet the financial requirements to prove that you can support your family without seeking public funds.
  • You must meet the requirement of adequate accommodation.
  • You must satisfy the English language requirements to prove your knowledge of the English language.
  • Depending on your country of residence, you may need to undergo a tuberculosis (TB) test as part of the visa application process.

You must meet all other eligibility requirements depending on your circumstances. Immigration rules and requirements can change, so it is essential to consult with an immigration solicitor before applying for a UK visa.

What are the financial requirements for the same-sex visa?

To meet the income / financial requirements of a UK same-sex visa application, you and your partner must have a combined income of at least £29,000 gross per year. You need to meet this income threshold requirement if you want to settle in the UK within 5 years.

English language requirement for the same-sex visa?

You may need to meet the English language requirement for the UK same-sex partner visa application if you are from a non-English-speaking country. You may be exempt from taking or passing the English language test.

You can prove your knowledge of the English language with an academic qualification, or by passing an approved English language test.

A1 English test for same-sex partner visa

For your first visa application, you must pass at least level A1 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) scale.

Same-sex visa application processing time

Currently, the same-sex partner visa application processing time is up to 24 weeks if applying from outside the UK. Time starts from the date of your appointment at the visa application centre.

You should usually get a decision on your same-sex partner visa within 8 weeks if applying from inside the UK using a standard service.

You may be eligible to apply for a same-sex partner visa using a priority service to get a faster decision on your visa application.

Why should you hire a same-sex partner visa solicitor?

Hiring a same-sex partner visa solicitor can greatly increase your chances of a successful visa application. They can help you understand the eligibility requirements, gather the necessary documents, and prepare a strong application that meets the Home Office's criteria. They can also provide legal advice and support throughout the application process.

How can an immigration solicitor help with a same-sex partner visa application?

At Wembley Solicitors, our team of family visa solicitors can play a crucial role in helping with a UK same-sex partner visa application by providing expertise, guidance, and assistance throughout the process. Here are ways in which our immigration solicitor can help:

1: Legal Advice and Assessment

Our immigration solicitor can assess your eligibility for a same-sex partner visa based on your circumstances. We can provide legal advice on the requirements, documentation, and evidence needed for a successful application.

2: Document Preparation

We can assist you in gathering and preparing the necessary documents, ensuring that they meet the specific requirements of the UK immigration authorities.

3: Application Form Assistance

Filling out visa application forms correctly is crucial. Our immigration solicitor can help you complete the application form accurately, minimising the risk of errors that could lead to delays or rejection.

4: Legal Representation

We can represent you in communication with the Home Office or the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) department, ensuring that your case is presented professionally and efficiently.

5: Advising on Supporting Evidence

Immigration solicitors are experienced in knowing what type of evidence is most persuasive. They can guide you on the types of documents and proof needed to strengthen your case.

6: Appeals and Reviews

If your application is denied, our family visa solicitor can advise you on the best course of action, whether it involves appealing the decision, reapplying, or seeking a review.

7: Keeping Up with Changes in Immigration Laws

Immigration laws and policies can change, and our immigration solicitors stay informed about any updates. They can guide you on how changes might affect your application.

8: Timely Submission

Ensuring that your application is submitted within the specified timeframe is crucial. We can help you manage deadlines and submit your application on time.

Contact our immigration solicitors in Wembley, London on 020 3417 3700 or fill in the enquiry form for immediate legal advice & and assistance with your UK same-sex partner visa application.

How much does a same-sex partner visa solicitor cost?

Our immigration solicitors charge a fixed fee in the region of £800 to £1000 Plus VAT for complete legal services in relation to the same-sex partner visa application under a 5-year route. The agreed fee will depend on the complexity of the matter.

Book a consultation with a same-sex partner visa solicitor

For detailed advice, you can book an In-Person, Online, or Phone consultation session with our expert UK immigration solicitors in London for just £60 (Plus VAT).

During the consultation session, our immigration solicitor will discuss your immigration matter in detail and advise you about the relevant immigration laws, procedures, requirements, and documents.

We provide expert advice, practical assistance, and professional representation to guide you through the application and decision-making process, from start to finish. 

We're authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA), so you know you're in safe hands.

Contact our solicitor today to get legal advice and assistance with your UK immigration matters.

You can call us on 02034173700 or leave your details here for a callback request regarding your legal matter.