An Unmarried Partner visa is a type of UK family visa that allows you to join your unmarried partner who is a British citizen or settled person in the UK.

This visa category is intended for couples who are in a genuine and subsisting relationship like marriage or civil partnership and have lived together for at least 2 years. It enables the unmarried partner to live and work in the UK for a specified period, provided they meet the eligibility criteria and requirements set in Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules.

If you need legal advice or assistance with your unmarried partner visa application, call our expert family visa solicitor in London at 020 3417 3700.

Table of Contents

  1. What is an Unmarried Partner visa?
  2. Unmarried Partner Visa Requirements
  3. UK Unmarried Partner Visa Document Checklist
  4. Unmarried Partner Visa Application Processing Time
  5. Unmarried Partner Visa Solicitors in London
  6. How much does a lawyer charge for a UK Unmarried Partner visa application?
  7. Need legal advice & assistance?

What is an Unmarried Partner visa?

The Unmarried Partner visa commonly known as the 'Defacto visa' allows the unmarried partner to enter or remain in the UK on the basis that they are in a relationship with a British citizen, or a person with Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR), pre-settled status, settled status, or refugee status.

An Unmarried Partner is a route to the settlement which means you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) after spending 5 years on an Unmarried Partner visa.

An Unmarried Partner visa entry clearance application is normally granted under the 5 years route to settlement if you are meeting all the requirements under Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules. The initial leave will be granted for 2.5 years.

Unmarried Partner Visa Requirements

To be eligible to apply for an unmarried partner visa, the applicant must meet all the requirements as set out in Appendix FM. The requirements are the same as for married partners however if you are an unmarried partner, you must have lived together for a period of at least 2 years.

Age requirement

To apply as a partner, you, and your partner both need to be 18 or over.

Relationship requirement

The applicant must provide evidence of being in a committed and genuine relationship akin to marriage or civil partnership with a British citizen or a person settled in the UK.

Cohabitation requirement

The couple must have lived together continuously in a relationship for at least two years prior to the visa application. Evidence, such as joint tenancy agreements, shared bills, or correspondence addressed to both partners, should be provided to demonstrate cohabitation.

Financial requirement

The sponsoring partner must fulfil the minimum income threshold, which varies depending on whether there are any dependent children involved. Financial support can be demonstrated through income from employment, self-employment, savings, or non-employment income sources.

Accommodation requirement

The couple must have adequate accommodation for themselves and any dependents without relying on public funds.

English language requirement

The applicant must prove their English language proficiency by passing an approved English language test or by being exempt due to their nationality or qualifications.

Intentions to live together in the UK

The couple should have genuine intentions to live together as a couple in the UK.

UK Unmarried Partner visa requirements are complex and subject to change. It is advisable to consult with a qualified immigration solicitor for the most up-to-date and accurate information on visa requirements.

UK Unmarried Partner Visa Document Checklist

The specific document checklist for a UK Unmarried Partner visa may vary based on individual circumstances and the specific requirements of the applicant. However, generally, the following documents would be required:

  • Proof of identity: Valid passport or travel documents for both partners.
  • Relationship evidence: Proof of cohabitation for at least two years (e.g., joint tenancy agreement, utility bills, correspondence addressed to both partners).
  • Financial documents: Income evidence of the sponsor (e.g., employment contract, payslips, bank statements). If the sponsor is self-employed, business registration documents, tax returns, and financial statements.
  • Accommodation documents: Proof of accommodation for the couple and any dependents, such as tenancy agreement, mortgage statement, or house deeds.
  • English language proficiency: English language test results, such as IELTS, with a minimum of CEFR level A1 or higher.

The above document checklist is not exhaustive, and additional documents may be required based on individual circumstances. It is advisable to seek professional advice from an expert immigration solicitor for the most accurate and updated document requirements.

Unmarried Partner Visa Application Processing Time

UK Unmarried Partner visa application processing time is between 3-6 on average when applying from outside the UK using a standard service. However, you may be able to use priority service to fast-track your application and get a faster decision.

You should get a decision on your Unmarried Partner visa within 8 weeks if applying from inside the UK using a standard service.

Unmarried Partner Visa Solicitors in London

Our expert team of UK immigration solicitors and lawyers will be able to assist you with any type of UK Family visa or immigration application.

Immigration solicitors at Wembley Solicitors will:

  • Provide detailed immigration advice.
  • Assess your personal circumstances and eligibility for a UK Family visa.
  • Assess the eligibility of your sponsor.
  • Explain the entire UK Family visa application process.
  • Give you a completed checklist of documents according to the type of visa application and your circumstances.
  • Check all the supporting documents to ensure that they are sufficient and in the correct format.
  • Fill out the complete application form and prepare detailed representations/cover letters for the Home Office UKVI in reference to the Immigration Rules.
  • Book an appointment for you to enrol your biometrics.
  • Upload all the supporting documents.
  • Liaise with the Home Office UKVI throughout the process until we receive the decision.
  • Keep you updated with every stage of your application.

Contact our UK Family visa solicitors in Wembley, London on 020 3417 3700 or fill in the enquiry form for immediate legal advice & assistance with your UK visa application.

How much does a lawyer charge for a UK Unmarried Partner visa application?

Our fixed-fee immigration solicitors charge a fixed fee in the region of £800 to £1000 (plus VAT if applicable) for complete legal services in relation to the Unmarried Partner visa application.

We provide expert advice, practical assistance, and professional representation to guide you through the application and decision-making process, from start to finish. 

We're authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA), so you know you're in safe hands.

Contact our solicitor today to get legal advice and assistance with your UK immigration matters.

You can call us on 02034173700 or leave your details here for a callback request regarding your legal matter.