Wembley Solicitors can assist you in submitting your application for a Marriage Visitor Visa. If you are in a civil partnership or you will register civil partnership, you want to provide a notice of marriage or civil partnership, or you are not planning to stay or settle in the United Kingdom after a marriage or civil partnership, the Marriage Visitor Visa is right for you. We can help you fill out all the right fields and submit all the required documents on time to prevent any delays in processing your Marriage Visitor Visa application.

Eligibility requirements

Applicants applying for a Marriage Visitor Visa need to meet the following eligibility requirements:

  • Are 18 or older
  • Free to provide a marriage license, marry, or enter into a civil partnership in the country within six months of arriving to the UK
  • Are in an authentic relationship
  • Travelling to the UK for fewer than six months
  • Leaving the country towards the end of the visit to the UK
  • Are able to support themselves financially without needing to work or claim public funds or their friends and family members are providing accommodation to them
  • Have the funds to return to the home country or continue their journey elsewhere
  • Are not in a transit nation outside of the United Kingdom, the Channel Island, Ireland, and the Isle of Man

Applicants should apply three months before they are due to travel to the UK. They should receive the decision on the status of their visa within three weeks.

The Do's and Don'ts

Applicants are permitted to do the following things on a Marriage Visitor Visa:

  • Use the visit to stay in the UK for six months
  • Apply to marry or enter into a civil union within six months of arriving to the UK
  • Can apply for a license or register their union at any location in the UK

Applicants are not permitted to do the following things on a Marriage Visitor Visa:

  • Claim public funds
  • Bring relates such as dependants on their visa (dependants must apply for a visa to the UK separately)
  • Reside in the UK for longer duration through repeated visits
  • Apply to switch to another visa or apply for visa extension
  • Work in the UK with the exceptions being work-related activities such as attending meetings
  • Study in the UK for over thirty days (Applicants cannot use studying as the primary reason for visiting the UK.

Required documents

Applicants will need to submit the following documents:

  • Valid passport or travel documents
  • Show evidence they can support themselves while in the UK such as showing bank statements or salary slips for the last six months
  • Show evidence of their future plans for the partnership such as documents stating where they will reside
  • Information on where they intend to stay while in the UK and their travel plans
  • Information on their marriage or civil union and evidence to show they have paid money to cover some of the related costs
  • Evidence they have provided the register officer in Scotland, England and Wales, or Northern Ireland with a notification of their marriage
  • Applicants who have married before need to provide evidence that they are no longer in a union with that person and are free to marry or enter into a civil union
  • Decree absolute
  • Death certificate if their partner has passed away

With their application for a Marriage Visitor Visa, they will need to provide their fingerprints and a picture referred to as biometric information. They will need to visit a visa application centre to provide their biometric details and later collect it from there. Next, they need to attach their biometric information with their visa application.  The Home Office may request applicants to provide additional documents than the ones mentioned above.

We provide expert advice, practical assistance, and professional representation to guide you through the application and decision-making process, from start to finish. 

We're authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA), so you know you're in safe hands.

Contact our solicitor today to get legal advice and assistance with your UK immigration matters.

You can call us on 02034173700 or leave your details here for a callback request regarding your legal matter.